2023 reprint of Illegal Batman, 40pp book with extra pages
Another reprint of my “greatest hit”. Originally drawn in late 1989 and published early 1990. Started out at 100 copies I think; it went through a few small reprintings at the time. I put a PDF online for a while, and there was a 2017 reprint, where the cover included quotes from online fans, which is now sold out. This 2023 edition features a few USPs:
- Extra story – ‘Illegal Batman in the Moon’ as a backup strip. This curio from 2011 is seeing print for the first time; it has been available online but it’s nice to see it on paper.
- Sketches – I found my folder of sketches and notes for when I prepared the original story. Some selected scans have been included.
- Reviews – two online reviews of the original Illegal Batman are reprinted in the back.
- New cover – well, at any rate, the colours are new – white highlights to suggest the Batman is lit from behind and his wide staring eyes are more prominent on the front cover, likewise his bandage (which some might have mistaken for a blindfold) on the back. For the rest I’m sticking with a computer version of the original blue.
- A frontispiece – factually, it’s a picture of the Straining Tower at Lake Vyrnwy in Wales. But I tore it out of a magazine in 1989 and used it in the book (without making a direct copy).
- Print quality – finally the solid blacks and whites are printed as I would wish. I retouched the files for this edition.
Batman copyright and trademarks are owned by Warner Bros and DC Comics.
The Batman created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger.
“Illegal Batman” is a work of fan art.